Our dental hygienist Tia is your weapon against dental disease. The role of a dental hygienist is to use preventative, educational and therapeutic methods to treat and prevent dental diseases to achieve and maintain excellent oral health.
Tia has an incredible knack with children and will make their time at the dentist a fun and educational, having them wanting to come back every week. She also caters to people who have a history of sensitivity when having professional teeth cleaning and people who suffer extreme dental anxiety. The goal is to make preventative treatment as pain-free, stress-free and easy as possible.
See below for more information
Dental hygienists are university educated primary healthcare professionals who provide highly skilled preventative services on patients of all ages. They are trained and qualified to:
- Perform dental examinations that include taking a health history, dental charting, oral cancer screening, saliva testing and gum analysis
- Take, process and interpret x-rays to check for decay, failing restorations, assess the health of the bone and any other problems which can’t be visually identified
- Record taking such as photographs and moulds of the teeth
- Detect any issues with plaque control and customise a home care routine to ensure the gums and teeth stay healthy
- Remove plaque, calculus (hardened plaque) and stains from above and below the gum line
- Polish the teeth
- Non-surgical treatment of periodontitis (gum disease) to stabilise the teeth and prevent further bone and gum loss
- Administer local anaesthetic to numb the teeth and gums
- Apply preventative agents such as fluoride, varnishes and sealants to the teeth
- Take moulds of the teeth to construct appliances such as whitening trays, mouthguards, occlusal splints, orthodontic appliances, sleep apnoea devices and Invisalign aligners
- Construct appliances such as whitening trays, mouthguards and diagnostic models
- Counsel on diet, smoking cessation and systemic health